[GRASS5] raster data in version 5.7

Saurabh Data saurabhdata at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 2 02:22:28 EST 2004

Dear users

I was browsing through the 5.7 tutorial but I couldnt find any infomation on
"Raster data management". It does however give some useful info on "Vecctor
data management".

After reading the 5.0 user manual, it gives an impression that as raster
data is used in most satellite images and maps, it should be preferred as
source of input but vector data takes less storage space.

Can someone confirm, any benefits in managing vector data in relation to the
PostGIS DB compatibility. Is Vector preferred to raster in this case. If so,
then Why ?

Also, why is point(or site) data used in GRASS ?

And what do you mean by 'native 5.7 format’ , isnt there any specific name
for it ?

Many THanks

Saurabh Data