[GRASS5] bug reports for GRASS 5.7

Scott Mitchell smitch at mac.com
Fri Apr 2 15:23:33 EST 2004

The developer tools include the standard GNU tools, including gdb, the
debugger.

So you start the program within the debugger using

gdb program_name (which is the full path to the grass module, in this
case probably something like
/usr/local/grass57-13_02_2004/bin/g.mapsets)

which will put you in to a gdb prompt.  From there, enter
run -l

to start the program with -l as the argument.  When you get to the
error, it will put you back at the gdb prompt, and you can enter the
command "where" to get a traceback of where it happened in the program.
  Use "quit" to get out to your shell.

Actually, you can probably skip all that, because I decided to test my
instructions before sending, and my machine generates the error too.
So keep this for future reference, and Glynn, here are the results, I
wish they meant something to me:

(gdb) run -l
Starting program: /usr/local/grass57-13_02_2004/bin/g.mapsets -l
Reading symbols for shared libraries +++.. done

Program received signal SIGTRAP, Trace/breakpoint trap.
0x8fe1a528 in __dyld__dyld_start ()
(gdb) where
#0  0x8fe1a528 in __dyld__dyld_start ()
warning: ppc_frame_chain_valid: stack pointer from 0xbffffab4 to 0x1000
grows upward; assuming invalid

#1  0x00000000 in ?? ()

On Apr 2, 2004, at 15:01, Michael Barton wrote:

> On Friday, April 2, 2004, at 12:54  PM, Glynn Clements wrote:
>
>> Can you run "g.mapsets -l" under a debugger and get a backtrace?
>>

> Probably.
>
> I'm copying this to Scott Mitchell who may have a suggestion along
> these lines. I have all the Apple developer tools installed. So this
> means that I certainly have access to debugging tools. I simply don't
> know what they are. If you know of any generic ones for BSD Unix
> and/or tcshell, I will give them a try.
>
> Michael
> ______________________________
> Michael Barton, Professor & Curator
> Department of Anthropology
> Arizona State University
> Tempe, AZ  85287-2402
> USA
>
> voice: 480-965-6262; fax: 480-965-7671

----
Scott Mitchell, Assistant Professor, Carleton University
Department of Geography & Environmental Studies, Loeb A209
Mailing:  Loeb B349, 1125 Colonel By Dr., Ottawa, ON K1S 5B6 Canada
1-613-520-2600 x2695 Fax: 613-520-4301 Scott_Mitchell at carleton.ca