[GRASS5] embedding GRASS display into my app

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Tue Apr 6 22:25:48 EDT 2004

David Piasecki wrote:

> I had thought I would have to do this using Tcl/Tk, but from your
> description, it sounds like I can use anything I like so long as I
> interface with the XDRIVER for GRASS. Could use Qt instead of Tcl/Tk?
> Since GRASS already uses Tcl/Tk, wouldn't it be easier to use what's
> already available, or is it simple enough to do in any toolkit?

There isn't any compelling reason to use Tcl/Tk for your purposes.

While some parts of GRASS use Tcl/Tk, it isn't particularly central.
You could compile and use GRASS without having Tcl/Tk installed, and
the only missing features would be:

1. NVIZ.
2. The tcltkgrass menu interface.
3. The d.dm/d.m interface.
4. The option of using a Tcl/Tk startup dialog instead of the
   curses-based startup screen.

In particular, XDRIVER doesn't use (or have any integration with)
Tcl/Tk.