[GRASS5] embedding GRASS display into my app

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Wed Apr 7 17:56:30 EDT 2004

David Piasecki wrote:

> Will I be able to have responsive user control in moving vector objects
> if I use PNG?

No; but I doubt that you will get that using XDRIVER either.

> It seems like it would respond rather slow if every time
> I edit a road or point of interest in the graphical display, it's got
> to re-render the layer as a PNG, and I've got to import it again. Or
> perhaps this is faster than I realize. If you think it will work, then
> I can write my application in anything! What do you think?

The best approach for this situation would be to write your own code
for drawing vector maps. I.e. take the code for d.vect and replace the
R_* functions with native (Xlib/GDK/etc) drawing functions.

If you were using XDRIVER, at what level would you be using it? Would
you be running d.erase/d.vect whenever a change was made, or using the
libraster/libraster functions?