[GRASS5] raster maps

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Thu Apr 8 18:44:01 EDT 2004

Paolo Cavallini wrote:

> We imported raster (tiff) black and white (1bpp) maps, but they are seen as
> 256 col (8bpp) by grass. Anyone knows a way of keeping them at 1bpp?

GRASS always uses at least one byte per cell.

If the problem is memory consumption (i.e. the fact that the GRASS map
will use substantially more storage than the original TIFF file), you
can compress the map with r.compress.

If the issue is that r.out.tiff (etc) generate 8-bpp TIFF files,
you'll have to convert them with an image processing application
(GIMP, ImageMagick etc). I don't think that there is any way to
generate 1-bpp TIFF/PNG/etc files directly.