[GRASS5] [bug #2387] (grass) Makefiles assume that

Request Tracker grass-bugs at intevation.de
Sat Apr 17 13:51:03 EDT 2004

this bug's URL: http://intevation.de/rt/webrt?serial_num=2387

Subject: Makefiles assume that

Platform: other
grass obtained from: CVS
grass binary for platform: Compiled from Sources
GRASS Version: grass 5.7 from CVS checked out 20040417

In a number of places the Makefiles in grass 5.7 assume that "make" is GNU make.  This makes users of systems where "make" is something else and GNU make is called "gmake" have to take extra steps (like making symlinks to GNU make and rearranging their paths) to build grass.

If the makefiles used the MAKE variable (e.g. always use $(MAKE) instead of make in rules that invoke make) then this would't be a problem, as the user could than specify which version of make to use.

This is a minor thing, but when I build grass every few months I have to remind myself that the first step is to reset my path such that a symlink make->/usr/local/bin/gmake is found before the native system's "make".