[GRASS5] Re: [GRASSLIST:3252] r.colors color= proposal

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Fri Apr 23 21:12:41 EDT 2004

Michael Barton wrote:

> > Actually, maybe we should just change the semantics of the "color=..."
> > option so that anything other than "rules", "grey.eq", "grey.log" and
> > "random" is treated as the name of a rules file.
>
> This is a great idea.

For now, rather than changing the behaviour of color=, I've added a
rules= option and rule files for the existing options (minus those
cases noted above).

I considered adding the (dynamically generated) list of rule files to
opt4->options. However, given that adding new rule files is trivial, I
suspect that the list could easily grow to the point where the option
would need to be removed to avoid making a mess of "r.colors help".

Regarding grey.eq and grey.log: it's arguable that histogram
equalisation (linear and logarithmic) could be applied to any colour
scheme, not just grey-scale. In which case, maybe they should be a
separate option rather than a specific colour scheme.