[GRASS5] [bug #2488] (grass) GRASS 5.7 WISH - improve string reading ability in g.parser

Paul Kelly paul-grass at stjohnspoint.co.uk
Wed Aug 4 04:40:12 EDT 2004

On Wed, 4 Aug 2004, Glynn Clements wrote:

>> I don't remember running into this in 5.3, but the GUI is very different in
>> 5.3; G.PARSER() works but doesn't autogenerate the dialog boxes. They are
>> each coded individually.
>
> The 5.0/5.3 problems are essentially the same bugs, but in different
> code. 5.0/5.3 has tcltkgrass, which is a self-contained Tcl/Tk program
> which works by executing GRASS commands.
>
> In 5.7, the problems are in G_gui(), which is called by G_parser(),
> which is used by most commands to parse the command line. In 5.0/5.3,
> if a command was run without arguments, G_parser() would ask the user
> for the infomation via the terminal. In 5.7, it generates and runs a
> Tcl/Tk program which displays a dialog, then re-executes the command
> using the data from the dialog fields as arguments.

I would just add that this happens unless the environment variable
GRASS_UI_TERM is set (to any value). If this is true then the old parser
behaviour (terminal-based) happens. Also the 5.7 tcltkgrass doesn't
attempt to unset this variable if it is already set so if it is set, then
the autogenerated dialog boxes don't appear and the GUI doesn't work. A
minor issue.

Paul