[GRASS5] 5.7: compilation error management - log file?

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Fri Aug 6 06:43:17 EDT 2004

Markus Neteler wrote:

> Recently the 5.7 Makefile system was changed to continue
> on compilation errors. While is is probably a good idea,

In my case, it was essential; the build would get to lib/form, fail
because I don't have Tcl/Tk 8.4 (Tcl_GetEncoding etc), and that was
the end of the build process.

> it's quite difficult to understand now which modules
> were skipped.
> Is there a way to implement a error log file support as it
> exists for 5.3?

Try changing this rule (in include/Make/Dir.make):

subdirs:
	@list='$(SUBDIRS)'; \
	for subdir in $$list; do \
	    echo $$subdir ; \
	    $(MAKE) -C $$subdir; \
	done

to:

subdirs:
	@list='$(SUBDIRS)'; \
	for subdir in $$list; do \
	    echo $$subdir ; \
	    $(MAKE) -C $$subdir || echo $(CURDIR)/$$subdir >> $(GRASS_HOME)/error.log ; \
	done

You'll also need to delete/truncate error.log at the start of the
build.