[GRASS5] Raster lib and CELL files > 2GB

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Fri Aug 6 06:56:23 EDT 2004

Glynn Clements wrote:

> > That's far from simple. The existing low-level raster I/O
> > implementation is a total mess; learning how it works may well take
> > longer than re-writing it from scratch.
>
> I have created some flowcharts (in .dia or EPS formats) for get_row.c
> and put_row.c if anyone is interested. OTOH, I'm planning on cleaning
> this code up, so the flowcharts will become outdated quite quickly.

The attached .tar.gz file contains cleaned-up versions of get_row.c
and put_row.c, which could use some testing (the files are called
get_row2.c and put_row2.c, so you need to modify the Gmakefile to use
them instead of the originals).

The updated versions should behave identically to the originals, i.e.
a "cell" file created by get_row2.c should be identical to that
created by the original version. The changes are purely code
simplification (e.g. splitting up some of the larger functions,
isolating duplicated code, using array indexing instead of pointers).

One possibility is to build two versions of (shared) libgis, with the
old and new files, and use LD_LIBRARY_PATH to select the appropriate
version at run-time (this requires the recent update to aclocal.m4 to
not use -rpath).