[GRASS5] r.average and FP maps

Markus Neteler neteler at itc.it
Sat Aug 14 14:13:39 EDT 2004

On Fri, Aug 13, 2004 at 10:01:57PM +0100, Glynn Clements wrote:

> [...]
[...]
> > That's fine. Time is not an issue if it worked... at time it is
> > sort of broken.
>
> In what sense? r.average seems to work OK for FP maps, apart from the
> warning and the fact that the results will contain inaccuracies due to
> averaging the quantised values rather than the actual values.

For me it doesn't work (Spearfish 5.7):

g.region rast=elevation.10m -p
r.info -t elevation.10m
datatype=DCELL

r.average -c base=fields cover=elevation.10m out=fields_elev_mean
WARNING: r.stats: cats for elevation.10m sre either missing or have no
         explicit labels. Using nsteps=255
r.stats:  100%
percent complete:  100%

GRASS 5.7.cvs:~ > r.info -r fields_elev_mean
min=-2147483648
max=-2147483648

GRASS 5.7.cvs:~ > r.average  base=fields cover=elevation.10m out=fields_elev_mean
WARNING: r.stats: cats for elevation.10m sre either missing or have no
         explicit labels. Using nsteps=255
r.stats:  100%
percent complete:  100%

GRASS 5.7.cvs:~ > r.info -r fields_elev_mean
min=-2147483648
max=-2147483648

Probably I am missing something...

Markus