[GRASS5] Need testers for tcltkgrass update for 5.7

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Sun Aug 15 17:51:08 EDT 2004

At Hamish's suggestion, I've gone through gui.tcl in tcltkgrass for GRASS
5.7 and cleaned out a great deal of code. This code is unused by tcltkgrass
now that GRASS 5.7 generates interactive dialogs for all commands on the
fly.

It all seems to work fine on my Mac, but I'd appreciate it if some other
folks test it on other platforms to make sure I haven't removed some
essential procedure. For those who want to  look at what I've done, I've
left in the procedure names--commented out--for all procedures I removed.
There is probably more cleaning that can be done, but this takes care of a
great deal for starters.

The only thing that doesn't work is scripting. I'm not sure whether this is
a function of GRASS 5.7 (and that I should take it out of the menu
altogether) or it  is simply broken at the moment. If anyone has a clue, let
me know.

Finally, I'd like to add a 'quit GRASS' item to the menu, but can't figure
out how to do this. Nothing I do seems to work. It either just quits tcltk
or does nothing. Maybe it's not possible. Any suggestions?

I am attaching the text files gui.tcl and menu.tcl. To test these, make
copies of the existing gui.tcl and menu.tcl (located in
$GISBASE/tcltkgrass/main) and replace them with the ones here. Let me know
if everything works OK. I am using a new text editor that is supposed to
save these with standard Unix line feeds. They work fine in my version of
GRASS. However, if anyone has a problem reading these files, let me know.

Thanks in advance
Michael Barton

C. Michael Barton, Professor
School of Human Origins, Cultures, & Societies
PO Box 872402
Arizona State University
Tempe, AZ  85287-2402
USA