[GRASS5] Need testers for tcltkgrass update for 5.7

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Tue Aug 17 11:07:40 EDT 2004

Moritz Lennert wrote:

> > I replaced most commands of the form "exec <cmd> &" with "execute
> > cmd". This only applies where the command was called without arguments
> > (where the command will typically call G_gui()). Ultimately, I suspect
> > that you will need to provide more information than just the name of
> > the command.
>
> I installed your new version, but now, all those commands that still use
> "exec" are missing the "&" and block the entire tcltkgrass menu while they
> are active.

The execute procedure is defined at the top of gui.tcl as:

	proc execute {cmd} {
	    exec -- $cmd &
	}

Anything which is run via "execute" should get run in the background.

> When I click on "close", I get an error message (example of
> r.sunmask):

Hmm. For some reason, a few commands are using exec (without the &)
rather than execute; r.sunmask is one of them.

AFAICT, the list of incorrect cases is:

	r.out.gridatb
	g3.createwind
	g3.setregion
	g.setproj
	d.monsize
	r.sunmask
	r.shaded.relief
	r.le.pixel
	r.le.patch
	r.le.trace
	v.segment

I'm not sure how this occurred; I've attached an update.

> This is also true for the d.mon commands which makes them unusable with
> the tcltkgrass menu.

The d.mon commands are run with arguments. They should complete more
or less immediately, and so shouldn't need to be run in the
background.