[GRASS5] Need testers for tcltkgrass update for 5.7

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Wed Aug 18 12:14:43 EDT 2004

Glynn,

This sounds like a plan. I'll go ahead and commit menu.tcl and gui.tcl it as
is now (Moritz had no problems with it either). I think this kind of
scripting within GRASS is potentially quite useful. I wonder how many people
use it in GRASS 5.3? To revive scripting, all commands would have to
eventually be set up to write to stdout, correct?

Michael

On 8/18/04 7:04 AM, "Glynn Clements" <glynn.clements at virgin.net> wrote:

>>> Well, in general, anything which performs interaction on the terminal
>>> needs to use "term", anything else which runs indefinitely needs to
>>> use "spawn", and the rest (i.e. anything which isn't interactive and
>>> which doesn't run indefinitely) can use "run".
>>
>> OK. I understand this distinction and can see what the differences are
>> between the execute, spawn, and run procedures.
>>
>> But now I suppose I betray my ignorance. If I call a normal GRASS 5.7
>> command with no argument (i.e., it is parsed by G_gui() and autogenerates an
>> interactive tcltk dialog) through either the spawn or run procedures it
>> *appears* to work the same as if I called it via the execute procedure. Is
>> there a problem in doing this? Why can't I just use run, for example, to
>> call all GRASS programs except those that require an xterm?
>
> Future expansion.
>
> Essentially, I want to allow for the possibility of adding a feature
> to G_parser/G_gui such that, when the program is being run from
> tcltkgrass, rather than G_gui() generating Tcl/Tk code and feeding it
> directly to wish, it would write it to stdout, and tcltkgrass would
> read and execute the generated code.
>
> This would allow tcltkgrass to implement features such as scripting,
> command history, etc, as tcltkgrass would get to see the user's
> argument values.
>
> Implementing this would essentially boil down to:
>
> 1. Adding an option to G_gui() to write the code to stdout rather than
> calling popen("$GRASS_WISH").
>
> 2. Adding a global switch (e.g. --tcltk) to G_parser(), which makes
> use of 1.
>
> 3. Copying the relevant portions of lib/gis/gui.tcl into tcltkgrass'
> gui.tcl, with any necessary modifications.
>
> 4. Changing the execute procedure to e.g.:
>
> proc execute {cmd} {
>    eval [exec -- $cmd --tcltk 2>@ stderr]
> }
>
> So, execute would simply invoke the program to get the Tcl/Tk code for
> the dialog, then evaluate it. The actual execution of the program
> (with arguments) would occur when the user clicked the dialog's "Run"
> button.
>
> In short, while execute currently looks very much like spawn,
> ultimately it could look very different.
>
>>> The "runs indefinitely" is actually quite tricky. Primarily because
>>> running multiple GRASS programs concurrently is problematic. If you
>>> start a long-running program such as v.digit, it's debatable whether
>>> you should be allowed to run anything else until it finishes.
>>>
>>> From the perspective of neatness, it would be better for the UI to
>>> remain functional, but to inhibit the execution of new commands
>>> (except those which are always safe, e.g. g.manual) than to simply
>>> "hang" until the command completes. However, implementing that would
>>> be non-trivial; you would need to start all commands in the
>>> background, then manually check for termination (and I have no idea
>>> how to do that in Tcl).

> [...]

Michael Barton, Professor & Curator
School of Human Origins, Cultures, & Societies
Arizona State University
Tempe, AZ  85287-2402
USA

voice: 480-965-6262; fax: 480-965-7671