[GRASS5] New info on openDWG

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Tue Aug 31 09:25:01 EDT 2004

On Tue, Aug 31, 2004 at 11:50:56AM +1200, Hamish wrote:
> re. Michael's suggestion that if OpenDWG can't be included in
> distributions of GRASS then maybe a non-GPL standalone translator app is
> called for,

GNU/Linux distributions cannot distribute application
using OpenDWG because those libraries are non-free software
and not allowed to be used commercially.
(http://www.opendesign.com/downloads/guest.htm
	Open Design Alliance members have created the following free
	utilities, based on the OpenDWG Libraries, for your unrestricted,
	non-commercial use. Please note that inclusion of any utility in a
	commercial product does require commercial licensing,
)

and GNU/Linux distributions are mostly considered commercial.

> as we can't reasonably expect everyone who needs DXF support
> to be able to compile for themselves (even if it would be good for them
> and make them better human beings etc).

We should point that problem out more prominently
to get more people to
	- put pressure on OpenDWG
	- give money so a Free Software DWG library can be written
	or improved
	- helping writing the library.