[GRASS5] [bug #2755] (grass) v.cutter has been superseded by v.overlay

Request Tracker grass-bugs at intevation.de
Thu Dec 2 16:36:13 EST 2004

this bug's URL: http://intevation.de/rt/webrt?serial_num=2755

In
http://grass.gdf-hannover.de/twiki/pub/GRASS/GrassToDoList/54to57porting_11-2004.txt
it says
v.cutter - replaced by v.overlay
In former man1/v.cutter.1 there is a very clear explanation of what to
do to cut something.

In grass57_exp_2004_11_27/vector/v.overlay/description.html
we are now 1000 miles away from clarity for those who wish to cut
something.

Also it says only areas are supported.  No hope thus for clipping maps
of points, etc. seemingly from the face of the words.

You know what I would have done (if I knew how to use GRASS);
For each example on each 5.0 man page that have now gone bye-bye, I
would show the equivalent way to do the example in GRASS 5.7.

So add the simplest cutting example to v.overlay's description.html.
It seems I have successfully clipped a vector map by region with
v.in.region output=shiregion
v.overlay ainput=shichengst binput=shiregion atype=line \
operator=and output=shichengst1
of course the attributes have grown etc.