[GRASS5] [bug #2763] (grass) v.in.ascii auto-detection too strict

Request Tracker grass-bugs at intevation.de
Fri Dec 3 01:15:54 EST 2004

this bug's URL: http://intevation.de/rt/webrt?serial_num=2763

Subject: v.in.ascii auto-detection too strict

Platform: GNU/Linux/i386
grass obtained from: Mirror of Trento site
grass binary for platform: Compiled from Sources
GRASS Version: 5.7-cvs_nov04

Hi,

when using v.in.ascii it automatically decides column type, even if you
specify with 'columns=' e.g.:

columns='x double precision, y double precision, cat int, name varchar(10)'

problem I am having:

I have an input column with data like:
001
002
003
004
005
etc.

I want to load that as a string column, not an int column (even though
they are all numbers). I use 'id_num varchar(3)' but it gives an error
that column type does not match input data type. :(

problem two:
I want to input "nan" into a double precision column, it complains
"column foo defined as double has string values"

'nan' and 'inf' are valid IEEE float/double values;
  scanf "%f" reads them, etc.

thanks,
Hamish