[GRASS5] Region lock

Radim Blazek blazek at itc.it
Fri Dec 3 06:09:13 EST 2004

Glynn Clements wrote:
> Radim Blazek wrote:
>

>>Does it make sense to add region lock?
>

> AFAICT, no.
>
> Is there a specific scenario where you think that a lock would be
> useful?

Always when user run a raster module via GUI or on background and then
he continues to change the region g.region/d.zoom. It is quite common,
if user has to wait until the background job finishes he usually query
maps in monitor using d.zoom/d.pan. This is especially danger for scripts.
No errors are reported, but results are wrong (e.g. r.what in loop).

I cannot say how danger it is for single modules. For scripts it IS
problem. We could add g.regionlock and encourage users to start scripts
with this module.

But it can be done also later, I have moved it to TODO > 6.0.

Radim