[GRASS5] 5.7.1

Helena hmitaso at unity.ncsu.edu
Sat Dec 4 01:03:15 EST 2004

Michael Barton wrote:
> Helena,
>
> Given that Jaro mentioned s.in.ascii bombing out with a dataset half the
> size of mine

I don't think that Jaro had problem with s.in.ascii.

  and you mentioned v.in.ascii bombing out with table creation,
> this makes me wonder about the dataset it is reading, or possibly a recent
> change in GRASS.

we are doing it completely independently and I have different data than he does.
But my data sets were from dos, so I wanted to make sure that is not the problem
and ran v.in.sites on a lidar site file with 1.5 mil points (55MB) that was created by
GRASS5.3 - I should not have done it because it took me one hour just to get it killed.
Radim, if you can prevent it from swapping
and rather give an error message, that would help me a lot for now.

I put the GRASS-generated site file that I tried with v.in.ascii here
  http://skagit.meas.ncsu.edu/~helena/grasswork/grassprobl/lidar99.gz
(you can use it with x,y location, or get the ready to use location here:
http://mpa.itc.it/grasstutor/data_menu2nd.phtml
Jockey's Ridge LIDAR data

If you have some time and could try it on your Mac and let me know how it goes,
that would be great.
(Lubos just bought Mac laptop as several of his physics colleagues
did and he loves it and tries to talk me into getting one too, so if
you have any advice - off grass5 list, I will appreaciate it).

> My data has a total of 15 fields: cat, x,y, and 12 others. All are double
> precision (no text or integer). One file has 133,200 points and the other
> 495,000 points. I had no trouble with either. I read these in with a
> September 2004 version of GRASS 5.7 using v.in.ascii.

I used 5.7 downloaded just few days ago - I wanted to try the new scripts
v.in.sites.all and v.convert.all to get all my data into 5.7 at once.
I am not sure what has changed between sept. and now.

Helena