[GRASS5] 5.7/6.0: some considerations

Markus Neteler neteler at itc.it
Wed Dec 8 08:55:33 EST 2004

On Wed, Dec 08, 2004 at 09:56:58AM +0100, Jaro Hofierka wrote:

> Markus Neteler wrote:
>

> >The strategy of the mentioned two developers who contributed most to
> >5.7 is to stabilize the existing code. However, to stabilize does not
> >necessarily mean to optimize for speed. Unless more people contribute
> >here, this will be postponed for 6.x with 6.x>6.0.
>

> Markus,
>
> those "speed complaints" are just references to a possible serious bug.
> No one says the work that has been done is bad. In such major code
> revisions that can happen. We were testing grass57 and found a problem.
> I was just wondering if this is an inherent feature of the new vector
> engine or something else. If this is a bug, it should be fixed.
> I was out for a couple of days, sorry if I missed something in this
> discussion.

Jaro,

sure, bugs must be fixed. But more developers are needed to do so.
I don't think that slowliness is a new intended feature of the new
vector engine. But due to the very limited number of contributors
to the new vector engine stability/correctness with come first, then
speed.
If it is a memory leak it should be fixed. I played with 'valgrind'
but didn't get a clue where to start. Since we have skilled people
in the development team I still have the hope that some of these
developers tries as well.

Also I try to keep pace with the zillion new reports we currently
receive, being a sort of garbage collector to solve the many minor
issues. That's all I can provide.

Markus