[GRASS5] rst updates

Helena Mitasova hmitaso at unity.ncsu.edu
Tue Dec 14 12:31:27 EST 2004

Radim Blazek wrote:

> Helena wrote:
> >
> > I would like to remove the confusing dmax option (it adds points on
> > contours if the given
> > points are farther appart than dmax) - please let me know if anybody
> > needs it (I will
> > then keep it and try to better explain it).
>
> Whithout dmax it will support only points as input? I think that
> contours as input can be useful.

it will continue supporting contours - it was there just to add
additional
points on contours using 1D spline.

> Is it a problem to keep it?

No

>Why is it confusing?

adding points to contours often does not improve interpolation - just
the opposite,
especially if the contours are far appart. I have set the default in
such a way that
it is now practically switched off. I have found that people often
thought that it is doing
the same thing as dmin, setting it to a low value that added a huge
number of points.

I will keep it and I will try to describe it better and see whether we
will get
any users who have troubles with it.

Helena