[GRASS5] Re: tcltk to default

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Wed Feb 4 12:45:15 EST 2004

On Wednesday, February 4, 2004, at 10:34  AM, John Gillette wrote:

> Is there a utility or command to set this in Grass?
>
> Perhaps this should appear on the tcltk menu under or near
> "Config"?

If you start GRASS with grass5 -tcltk (or grass53 -tcltk, depending on
your installation) it will default to the tcltk GUI from then on, or
until you start GRASS with grass5 -text. If you start with grass5
-text, it will default to text mode until you start again with grass5
-tcltk.

AFAICT, you need to start GRASS in text mode (grass5 -text) to create a
new location. At least mine bombs and erases the location parameter in
.grassrc5 if I try to create a new location within the tcltk GUI.
Creating new mapsets work fine however. When I get a chance, I will try
to take a look at this and see if I can understand what is going on. Or
perhaps someone could enlighten me.

Michael Barton, Professor & Curator
Department of Anthropology
Arizona State University