[GRASS5] Re: grass 64-bit question

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Thu Feb 12 18:23:31 EST 2004

Markus Neteler wrote:

> Does anyone have suggestions for Gregory Booma?
> (please CC also to him)

> > I'm wondering if GRASS has 64-bit raster and vector capability. I was able
> > to find that GRASS runs on 64-bit machines, but not able to tell if GRASS
> > has 64-bit capabilities on its own. I'm trying to justify the installation
> > of GRASS on one of our SPARC machines to perform operations on massive
> > raster datasets. Thanks in advance for your help!

That depends upon what you mean by "64-bit capabilities".

Most integer variables are of type "int", which will probably be 32
bits. E.g. raster maps will be limited to 32-bit row/column indices,
integer cell values will be limited to 32 bits, etc.

The main advantages of a 64-bit architecture would be to allow the use
of files larger than 2Gb and/or the use of more memory than would be
available on a 32-bit system.