[GRASS5] grass 5.0.3 in debian

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 13 01:13:50 EST 2004

[Hi everyone, happy New Year]

> the GRASS 5.0.3 package has been submitted to debian.

Great! This'll make the Knoppix based distros really easy to put together as
well.

A couple of points about the new Debian package..
 (mostly from looking at the Debian.ChangeLog & package page, I haven't
  tested or even inspected the package so I could be mistaken on some of
  these...)

- what happened to all the dependencies? they all seem to be missing.
 e.g., look at
  http://packages.debian.org/testing/science/grass
   vs
  http://packages.debian.org/unstable/science/grass
?

- add a dependency to the new gdal-bin package and build --with-gdal ?
This is in testing now.

- DBM patch & deps not needed as GRASS doesn't actually use DBM.
Build without.
>  Added build-deps in control file:
>     	+ libgdbm-dev for --with-dbm

- after changing to tcl/tk 8.4, does NVIZ still work??? could someone check?
>  Build against tcl/tk 8.4 (Closes: #206844).
for possible fix, see
 http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gis.grass.devel/2036/
??
maybe fixed in the latest tcl/tk packages?

- The unstable package page (see above) says the package is 34mb,
  Size:  34619.9
  Installed size:  84920
Is it possible to build 5.0.3 with shared libs or is that 5.3+ only?

- What's with avoiding the freetype check? I've never had a problem with
the standard Debian version of freetype2..
>  Include dir for freetype2 is /usr/include/freetype2/freetype
>     	+ debian/rules
With Debian I've always used:
./configure --with-freetype --with-freetype-includes=/usr/include/freetype2
?

cheers,
Hamish