[GRASS5] Some news: KerGIS

Paul Kelly paul-grass at stjohnspoint.co.uk
Sat Jan 24 12:37:57 EST 2004

Hello Thierry

On Sat, 24 Jan 2004, Thierry Laronde wrote:

[...]

> 2.S Security
>
> G_gets has been replaced with the secure (newly created) G_read_line
>
> But the code remains unsafe, since there are a lot of sprintf spread all
> around that don't limit nor check the amount of data they put in the
> buffer
> 	=> TODO

Do you have an opinion on the G_asprintf() by Eric Miller that we use in
GRASS 5.7?:

http://grass.itc.it/pipermail/grass5/2002-May/005324.html

http://freegis.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/grass51/lib/gis/asprintf.c?rev=1.1&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup

Also did you have a chance to have a good look at g.setproj (I see you
have kept it; I wouldn't)? I always thought it seems to be quite badly
written and had been done separately from v.proj and src/libes/proj,
which apparently were done by SCS, and had been done quite well and
consistently. I think the original idea was to create PROJ_INFO /
PROJ_UNITS manually with a text editor and g.setproj (perhaps originally
called m.setproj?) was added by somebody else.
As you have obviously been looking at the old code more than I have I am
just interested if you have formed an opinion on the evolution of the proj
library.

I look forward to hearing more about KerGIS.

Paul