[GRASS5] grass 5.0.3 in debian

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 27 06:04:04 EST 2004

And it is now in Debian/testing and slated for the next Debian release!
Congratulations and thanks to Federico and Francesco!

"apt-get install grass"

> > [I just installed it on a fresh machine]

> > > To be verified.
> >
> > Nope, it doesn't work here.. same segfault.
> > Putting -lpthreads in
> >    src.contrib/GMSL/NVIZ2.2/src/Gmakefile  's  XTRA_LDFLAGS
> > doesn't fix it anymore either. Maybe somewhere else?
> >

> > Compiling against Tcl/Tk 8.3 does work however.

> Do you have both 8.3 and 8.4 on the same machine? If so, are you sure
> that the headers, the link-time libraries and the run-time libraries
> are all the same version?

I think I started out with only 8.4, but don't trust that.

Currently, I have the following installed:
tcl8.3                                          install
tcl8.3-dev                                      install
tcl8.4                                          install
tcl8.4-dev                                      install
tk8.3                                           install
tk8.3-dev                                       install
tk8.4

tk8.3-dev conflicts with tk8.4-dev so the latter is removed.
GRASS compiles and NVIZ works.

After removing *8.3* packages from the system, the grass.deb package
still fails.

I'll have to check on which 'wish' is used, but I wouldn't think this
is accessed during building? And removing 'tk8.3' should fix it then,
but doesn't.

[then, after installing tk8.4-dev]
Building 5.0.3 from source, GRASS builds ok and NVIZ still fails.
Building 5.3-cvs from source, GRASS builds ok and NVIZ still fails.

> FWIW, does Debian include the version number (e.g. libtk8.3.so) or
> does it use libtk.so.0?

Everything is versioned. The file 'libtk.so.0' doesn't exist in the
Debian archive- not sure if that covers symlinks though.

/usr/lib/libtcl8.4.a
/usr/lib/libtcl8.4.so@ -> libtcl8.4.so.0
/usr/lib/libtcl8.4.so.0
/usr/lib/libtclstub8.4.a