[GRASS5] Why are some 5.7 files diverging?

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Tue Jan 27 08:49:21 EST 2004

On Tue, Jan 27, 2004 at 01:15:29PM +0000, Glynn Clements wrote:
> Markus Neteler wrote:

> > ... I had to merge. It's not clear to me why 5.7 is really *ignored*
> > by some developers.
>
> Because it's a sufficiently radical departure from the existing code
> base that it's effectively a separate project, and not everyone has
> the time to work on two projects.

That is too strongly worded, I'd say.

The situation was that we wanted to have people
make radical changes without interrupting the growing
trust old users started to gain in GRASS 5 development.
So Radim started out in agreement with many people
and did a good job. In fact he did not get enough feedback on his work.

When I see how many people now start to test 5.7 once in a while,
I would call that strategy a success.

> Maybe you should be asking whether it was really necessary fo 5.7 to
> have its own version of Graph_set.c

Those technical detail questions and feedbak certainly
is one that Radim asked for many times.

> Minimising divergence between the two code bases ought to carry *some*
> weight (I'm not arguing how much weight, only that it should be
> non-zero), and changes should only be made if they provide "enough"
> benefit.

It already carries _some_ weight.
I trust the 5.7 developers to make reasonable judgements.
However if you find places that can be improved
I guess they'd like feedback. :)

	Bernhard