[GRASS5] What's holding 5.3.0 release?

Scott Mitchell smitch at mac.com
Fri Jan 30 19:41:46 EST 2004

What about "testing", as in the intermediate level used by Debian?
(also referred to in the posting that Paul responded to back last
January)

i.e. in the current situation, it could be that 5.0.x=stable,
5.3.x=testing, 5.3.7=unstable

It would also follow Debian's example in that the "stable" release
tends to be a little "behind the times" (critical bug fixes only), and
I for one have usually found the "testing" branch of Debian to be the
most useful... along the same lines, I tend to concentrate on GRASS
5.3.x (although the vector/raster concentrations play a larger role
there).

I agree with an earlier post that developers that have been following
the traffic shouldn't be too confused given the work that Markus et al
have put in to the "road maps"... but that users coming along can also
be confused.  Maybe the above labels would be more illustrative.

My "off the top of my head" impressions....

Scott

On Jan 30, 2004, at 19:09, Paul Kelly wrote:

>> In my opinion a 5.3.0 release is urgently needed.
>> And it should not be called "unstable" according to the
>> odd minor release number as it would be too discouraging to
>> stimulate new development.
>
> Those two paragraphs may be a question for Bernhard as I recall he
> promoted this separate stable / unstable branch arrangement. I posted
> my
> thoughts on it before:
> http://grass.itc.it/pipermail/grass5/2003-January/007012.html and also
> agree with Markus' comments above except that 5.3 should still be
> called
> unstable. Well not stable anyway. Maybe 'semi-stable'?

----
Scott Mitchell, Assistant Professor, Carleton University
Department of Geography & Environmental Studies, Loeb A209
Mailing:  Loeb B349, 1125 Colonel By Dr., Ottawa, ON K1S 5B6 Canada
1-613-520-2600 x2695 Fax: 613-520-4301 Scott_Mitchell at carleton.ca