[GRASS5] Raster files suggestion: new directory layout

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 9 00:51:59 EDT 2004

> another proposal: Let's simplify the raster file directory layout
> and have all files related to a raster map staying in a single
> directory (such as the 5.7 vector files). We already have discussed
> it some time ago.

- clean and understandable file structure

.. following the 5.7 vector/ directoy pattern:

$MAPSET/raster/$MAPNAME/colr
$MAPSET/raster/$MAPNAME/cats
$MAPSET/raster/$MAPNAME/cell
$MAPSET/raster/$MAPNAME/hist

etc..
?

> - user can easily copy a map into another machine
>   (say, for backup reasons or whatever)

Tip:
For a quick way of copying maps now try: r.out.mat, copy the map file
to a new machine, then use r.in.mat. I guess you could do GeoTIFF or
something else as well, but this is quick and easy. Things like the
cats/, colr/, and hist/ files don't get included (yet). I've found it
to be useful; matlab is not required.

>   (as we once did for LZW elimination)

Unisys patent now gone?

Hamish