[GRASS5] [bug #2537] (grass) aitoff/winkel tripel fails on rasters

William K woklist at charter.net
Fri Jul 16 22:46:45 EDT 2004

No good.  I was hoping to use GRASS 5.7 - I tried r.to.vect to both
point and area but I ran into some odd limit - both quit at 1105902
features.  The error was that it couldn't insert a new row into the
values.

So, your suggestion to use sites in GRASS 5.3 didn't work either.  Even
dividing the globe into 4 quarters.  The conversion to sites worked, no
problems with feature limits.  They also projected fine.  But I get a
bus error in s.surf.rst after a while.  (I've never had luck with
s.surf.rst, maybe I'm using too much data).  I was even using a cell
size 1/4 of the original unprojected data (latlong 30" GLOBE DEM to
4000m projected).

A question about the inverse projection thing - is that a PROJ
limitation, or a general limitation of the Aitoff/Winkel Tripel
projection?

Kinda interesting sidenote - it seems ArcInfo & ArcGIS do a forward
projection of rasters, so it doesn't have this problem.  BUT, ArcInfo
(that is, the old workstation stuff) has problems when anything but 0
deg is used as the central meridian - it cuts off the west 1/4.  bleh.
ArcGIS (that is, desktop stuff) is supposed to have fixed the problem,
but you must use the new 'geodatabase' storage, which requires ArcSDE.
Arrrrgggghhhhh!

Well, finally got it done by using Arc to convert to points and project
and to raster (topogridtool 16 hrs!).  Did the masking and relief with
GRASS.  phew!

On Jul 15, 2004, at 3:53 AM, Glynn Clements wrote:

> Request Tracker wrote:
>
>> this bug's URL: http://intevation.de/rt/webrt?serial_num=2537
>
>> Subject: aitoff/winkel tripel fails on rasters
>
>> When trying to project a raster from geographic (or any other
>> projection) to a Winkel Tripel or Aitoff, r.proj spews out VERY many
>>
>> pj_transform() failed
>> cause: non-convergent inverse meridinal dist
>>
>> errors, then gives up with:
>>
>> ERROR: Input map is outside current region
>>
>> and stops. The region is correct - I use proj (or m.proj2 in
>> grass53) to determine the extents needed. And it projects vectors
>> (v.proj) just fine.
>
> Neither Aitoff nor Winkel Tripel have defined inverse projections, so
> you can't project to those projections with r.proj; you can project
> from them, though. v.proj and s.proj use forward projections, so they
> don't have this problem (they have the opposite problem: you can
> project to such projections, but not from them).
>
> For projections which don't have an inverse, you can use a sequence of
> r.to.sites, s.proj and s.surf.rst.
>
> Although, we should make r.proj (or PROJ itself) handle this situation
> better.

-----
William Kyngesburye <kyngchaos at charter.net>
http://webpages.charter.net/kyngchaos/

Theory of the Universe

There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly
what the universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly
disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarrely
inexplicable.  There is another theory which states that this has
already happened.

-Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy 2nd season intro