[GRASS5] remove error output from pj_do_proj()?

William K woklist at charter.net
Thu Jul 29 17:32:50 EDT 2004

Now I'm beginning to think that there IS something wrong with the
projection.  Everything looks OK, I can view it, I can do some mapcalc
and filtering on it, I can export it (both r.out.tiff and r.out.gdal).
I don't see any anomalies in the projected data.  But two commands
segfault on me - r.resample and r.compress.

In the terminal I get a seg fault error and the command exits.  I also
get a handy Mac OS X crash report that starts with: (there's somethread
state info and binary image info after)

Exception:  EXC_BAD_ACCESS (0x0001)
Codes:      KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS (0x0001) at 0xfffffbda

Thread 0 Crashed:
0   libz.1.dylib       	0x945b24d4 inflate_fast + 0x264
1   <<00000000>> 	0x00006000 0 + 0x6000
2   libz.1.dylib       	0x945b1208 inflate_blocks + 0x860
3   libz.1.dylib       	0x945b1e9c inflate + 0x37c
4   libgrass_gis.dylib 	0x0006b5e8 G_zlib_expand + 0xb0
5   libgrass_gis.dylib 	0x0006b1ac G_zlib_read + 0x124
6   libgrass_gis.dylib 	0x00072ab8 read_data_fp_compressed + 0xac
7   libgrass_gis.dylib 	0x00073814 get_map_row_nomask + 0x19c
8   libgrass_gis.dylib 	0x00072134 G_get_raster_row + 0x3fc
9   r.resample         	0x000024fc main + 0x358
10  r.resample         	0x00001c94 _start + 0x188 (crt.c:267)
11  dyld               	0x8fe1a558 _dyld_start + 0x64

(the libz led me to try r.compress which also crashes with the same
thread trail, otherwise I wouldn't normally use it)

The raster straight out of r.proj crashes about 50% thru r.resample
(I'm resampling 1:10 and 1:5).  After applying some mapcalc and
filtering (which work), the resulting raster crashes immediately.  Both
are float grids.

The regions are the full area.  When I zoom to a smaller area (whether
completely within the orthographic area, or overlapping a corner where
the pj errors occur), r.resample has no trouble.  A couple tests with
the region approx 10-20 cells smaller than the default failed tho.

r.resample and r.compress have no problems with rasters in other
projections.

2004-7-24 CVS.  I reinstalled a previous CVS (7-10), without the shared
library path fix, and had the same problem.  And it's only with 5.7,
5.3 CVS has no problems.

Oh wait, just tried somthing else.  I've been doing my
'super-optimizing' thing lately (-O3, -mcpu= and -maltivec, + -s for
LDFLAGS).  Without that it's now working.  Odd, tho - I'm using the
same optimizing on 5.3, but it still works.  Maybe the shared libs in
5.7 don't get along with the optimizing (not surprising, had a similar
problem with postgre).

So, looks like for now: 5.3 + optimize, 5.7 - no optimize.  No big deal
- even without optimizing, my 5.7 install is down to 36MB (from the 50+
it used to be).  When I have time, I'll play with the optimizing to see
which one is the culprit.