[GRASS5] Re: [GRASSLIST:2585] Re: v.to.rast aggressiveness

Radim Blazek blazek at itc.it
Tue Jun 1 04:17:03 EDT 2004

On Tuesday 01 June 2004 06:38, Hamish wrote:
> I've just changed the v.to.rast man pages to document this, but after
> some more experimentation I'm more convinced that there's a bug in the
> 5.7 version.

I don't think so.

> Specifically, lines will not know which side is in or out so they must
> tag all cells they pass through for any significant distance. Boundaries
> on the other hand should know which side is in/out and only tag cells
> whose center points are inside the area. Currently boundary->raster
> conversions act line line->raster which I think is wrong.

The boundary may represent another linear feature, e.g. area is
forest (field 1) boundary is road (field 2), then
v.to.rast field=2 must create linear feature.

> You only see this in 5.3 if you have run v.llabel on a vector containing
> area features, and now that it is documented in the help page, no
> problem.
>
> Creating a new area with 5.7's v.digit labels the boundary by default so
> this pops up a lot more often.

Then it is problem in v.digit not in v.to.rast.
v.digit should remember category setting separate for each line type
and it should set "No category" as default for boundary.

Radim