[GRASS5] [bug #2451] DXF support

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 6 00:03:19 EDT 2004

Radim Blazek wrote:

> There is no free DXF library supporting reliably latest DXF.
> I see that Dime status has not changed in last years, still:
> "... version 10 through 14, and we've had customers that have used the
> library to handle AutoCAD 2000 DXF files."

For what it's worth,

http://packages.debian.org/changelogs/pool/main/d/dime/dime_0.20030921-1/changelog

"dime (0.20030921-1) unstable; urgency=low

  * New upstream
  * ..."

The main changelog isn't updated though, so I don't know what that means
in practicable terms; only that it was updated somewhere between Jan 2002
and Sept 2003.

Michael:
>> The other is the fact that DXF in some form has become a widely used
>> interchange format for a variety of other GIS and CAD programs. Would
>> it be easier to support this kind of DXF--for now at least? Would
>> this be a lower-level (i.e., older) dxf standard than the current
>> AutoCAD one?

Radim:
> v.out.dxf is something else, it is simple and it should be updated
> to 5.7, but it should read binary file, not ascii.

In 5.3 there is:
v.in.dxf, v.in.dxf3d, v.in.dxf3d.sh
v.out.dxf

Unless someone wants to do it themselves, I don't think there's much
point in spending too much time trying to get the v.in.dxf's working
with 5.7, it would be outdated before it was born..

AutoCAD should be able to read older formats (I would hope), even if it
won't write them, so updating v.out.dxf to 5.7's binary vector format +
features would still be a nice thing to have on the Wish list..

Hamish