[GRASS5] Proposed freetype/configure patches

Buchan Milne bgmilne at mandrake.org
Tue Jun 22 04:18:21 EDT 2004

Glynn Clements wrote:

|>>We changed from checking ft2build.h in 5.0.0 to freetype/freetype.h in
|>>5.0.1, and we presumably did so for a reason.
|>>
|>>Unless someone beats me to it, I'll try to find the commit message and
|>>any emails relating to the change.
|>
|>OK, here is the commit log:
|>
|> http://grass.itc.it/pipermail/grass-commit/2002-September/006605.html
|>
|>So it should be somewhere here:
|> http://grass.itc.it/pipermail/grass5/2002-September/author.html#start
|

| Nope; it turns out to have been a private email (from you):
|

|>From: Markus Neteler <neteler at itc.it>
|>To: Glynn Clements <glynn.clements at virgin.net>
|>Subject: Question on configure
|>Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2002 15:01:12 +0200
|

|>to get configure accepting the freetype lib (Redhat 7.1)
|>I had to change:
|>
|>cvs diff configure
|>Index: configure
|>===================================================================
|>RCS file: /grassrepository/grass/configure,v
|>retrieving revision 1.117
|>diff -r1.117 configure
|>10489c10489
|>< for ac_hdr in ft2build.h
|>---
|>
|>>for ac_hdr in ./freetype/config/ftbuild.h
|>

|>as ft2build.h does not exist on Redhat 7.1:
|>
|>locate /freetype/config/ftbuild.h
|>/usr/include/freetype2/freetype/config/ftbuild.h
|>
|>May I ask you to modify the configure[.in] if possible?
|

| Currently, d.text.freetype/main.c does:
|
| 	#include <freetype/freetype.h>
|
| So, that's what configure should be checking for. If the source code
| was changed to include ft2build.h (and use the macros for including
| the other headers), then changing the configure checks would make
| sense.

I sent Markus two patches, one for grass-5.{0,3}, which just change the
configure.in, the one for grass-5.7 added an #include ft2build.h (but it
was incomplete, it needs to use the macro to get the freetype header).

The problem is that with freetype-2.1.8 and later, freetype.h now has:

#ifndef FT_FREETYPE_H
#error "`ft2build.h' hasn't been included yet!"
#error "Please always use macros to include FreeType header files."
#error "Example:"
#error "  #include <ft2build.h>"
#error "  #include FT_FREETYPE_H"
#endif

So, configure in grass-5.{0,3} fails, even though nothing seems to
include the header, and compilation fails (if configure succeeded) in
d.text.freetype.

Regards,
Buchan

- --
Buchan Milne                      Senior Support Technician
Obsidian Systems                  http://www.obsidian.co.za
B.Eng                                RHCE (803004789010797)