[GRASS5] [bug #2506] (grass) overview window/monitor like in GRASS & mapserver example

Request Tracker grass-bugs at intevation.de
Thu Jun 24 09:19:28 EDT 2004

this bug's URL: http://intevation.de/rt/webrt?serial_num=2506

Subject: overview window/monitor like in GRASS & mapserver example

Platform: GNU/Linux/i386
grass obtained from: Trento Italy site
grass binary for platform: Compiled from Sources
GRASS Version: grass5.7.0

hello,

just a thought, nothing really urgent/important.

When I gave the GRASS mapserver example a try I recognised the little window in the top
right corner and wondered if somethink like this would be possible for the "usual" GRASS
usage.

I think of two types of information windows, first a global one and second a local one:

- one window which shows the extent of the whole region and marks the location of each
mon x0, x1, x2 with different coloured rectangles -> global information window

- one window which shows up with the area displayed in one monitor (full extend of raster or
vector which is set as background image) after I zoomed in. -> local information window --
this would be similar to the GRASS mapserver overview window.

well as I said before there are definitely more important things to do, but this one would be a
nice little candy for GRASS user to keep track of the area where they area currently working
in.

cheers Martin