[GRASS5] A central site for beta binaries??

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Mon Mar 1 15:33:40 EST 2004

It seems that quite a few people have compiled binaries for the current
beta (i.e. 5.3) and alpha (i.e 5.7) GRASS distributions under a variety
of platforms. I know of or have heard of at least Linnux, Mac OSX, and
Cygwin.

Currently the GRASS site has a simple www ftp page where the current
source snapshots are available for download. What would be the
possibility/level of difficulty of making a simple www ftp page for
these experimental binaries? They could be linked to the appropriate
table cell in the grass downloads page (binaries column, snapshot row).
They could be accompanied by appropriate disclaimers (e.g., "These
binaries are supplied by volunteers assisting the GRASS development
team, and represent an in-development version to be used at your own
risk for testing purposes. Feedback on the functionality of this
experimental version is strongly encouraged and should be directed to
[the bug reporting site? the list?? other??].")

This would make it easier for a larger number of people to participate
in GRASS development and testing--and advertise GRASS's future
development directions.

I offer this as a suggestion without knowing how much additional
management burden this might place on the Trento team.
Michael Barton, Professor & Curator
Department of Anthropology
Arizona State University
Tempe, AZ  85287-2402