[GRASS5] current WinGRASS binaries compiled without PNG?

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Tue Mar 2 15:37:43 EST 2004

Richard Greenwood wrote:

> > I've been trying to track down a PNG problem with GRASS for CYGWIN
> > binaries downloaded from the main WinGRASS download site. When d.mon
> > start=PNG is invoked, it returns the following error:
> >
> > ERROR: no such monitor 'PNG"
> > No such monitor as 'PNG'
> > Problem selecting PNG. Will try once more
> > No such monitor as 'PNG'
> >
> > My read is that this indicates the binaries were compiled -without PNG.
> >
> > Is this correct?
> >
> > If, so, can new binaries be compiled with PNG? Is PNG a problem for
> > WinGRASS?
> >
> > Thanks very much for your help.
> >
> > Michael Barton
>
> I think I compiled the 5.0.3 binaries at:
>   http://grass.ibiblio.org/grass5/binary/windows_cygnus/wingrass_xserver/
> And it was compiled with PNG support (see grass5.0.3_config.log in above
> directory).

The config.log file says:

 GD support:                 no

This means that the PNG driver won't have been built. PNG support
alone is sufficient for r.in.png and r.out.png, but the PNG driver
also requires GD (this dependency has recently been removed in 5.3).

[Actually, the PNG driver only uses PNG if GD uses PNG. The GD library
which is shipped with RedHat 6.2 uses GIF rather than PNG; in that
situation, you don't need the PNG library, and the PNG driver produces
GIF images instead of PNG images.]