[GRASS5] discussion on how to package binaries

Scott W Mitchell smitch at mac.com
Sat Mar 6 15:59:46 EST 2004

On Sat, 6 Mar 2004, Paul Kelly wrote:

> Glynn Clements wrote:
> > Scott Mitchell wrote:
> [...]
> > > Then, I went back and reconfigured without --enable-shared, did a make
> > --enable-shared controls whether the GRASS libraries (libgis,
> > libraster etc) are built as shared libraries. It has no effect upon
> > which external libraries are used.
>
> and --enable-shared is only effective if the alternate build system is
> being used, i.e. --enable-gmake=no has also been specified. In fact
> --enable-shared is the default so there is no need to specify it; it
> simply has no effect with --enable-gmake=yes as the traditional gmake
> build system doesn't support shared libraries.

For sure?  I wouldn't dream to argue about it, except that the size of
those binaries definitely went way up when I recompiled without the
--enable-shared, so once I read Glynn's message I assumed it was because
libgis had been included... now that I write this, I realize it's
also possible that I did not have LDFLAGS="-s" set at "re"compile time and
had not done the stripping step at the time of the size comparison, so it
could have just been debugging symbols.  Yeah, that's probably it.

Anyways, that's academic now, I've put it back the way it was so that I'm
back to the smaller, "all-shared" build.

Thanks, everyone...

Scott