[GRASS5] Re: [GRASSLIST:2996] Re: Debian Grass packages

Federico Di Gregorio fog at debian.org
Mon Mar 22 04:33:06 EST 2004

Scavenging the mail folder uncovered Hamish's letter:
> * 5.0.3 offical package; a 5.3-cvs-"$date" one would be nice for Sarge.
> * weekly 5.3 and 5.7-snapshot unoffical .debs hosted by the GRASS website.

I don't know very well the state of grass but Markus mail lead me to think
5.0.3 was old and 5.3/5.7 are the way to go. now hamish says the opposite.
IMHO the *best* thing we can do now is to have a _stable_ and _working_
grass in debian. The version production systems out there are using should
go in; please tell me which one.

After that I pretty much agree with hamish, we make a grass-snapshot package
and distribute it in debian unstable or even from an apt-gettable repo on
grass mirrors.

Markus, it would very nice if you could fix packaging bugs by starting from
debian packages and then sending diffs to the debian BTS, not by repackaging
everything. Unfortunately Debian packages have some requirements like
automated build from sources+diff and we can't just take your hand crafted
debs and drop them in the archive. Sorry.

federico

--
Federico Di Gregorio
Debian GNU/Linux Developer & Italian Press Contact        fog at debian.org
  Those who do not study Lisp are doomed to reimplement it. Poorly.
                                     -- from Karl M. Hegbloom .signature