[GRASS5] GRASS releases - some remarks

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Tue Mar 23 13:02:39 EST 2004

On Wed, Mar 17, 2004 at 01:54:38PM +0100, Markus Neteler wrote:

> another time I have received new developed source code
> based on GRASS 5.0 - in this case the internationalization
> of tcltkgrass and NVIZ.

:/

> I feel that we either need a release of 5.3 or that
> we should somehow modify the web pages to make clear
> that new developments should be at least based
> on 5.3 (for vectors: 5.7).

The best would be to do both.
Changing the webpages probalby can be done quicker.

> Also, as posted earlier, I received other comments that
> without an official release (of 5.3) they would stick
> with 5.0.

Not a bad attitude in itself, we have to accept that some users
are conservative. However they must be aware that we consider 5.3.0
quite okay and that 5.0.x might be more stable, but that also
includes stability of the "weaknesses" and "bugs".
Then they can decide for themselfs.

> Sounds a bit unfortunate to me, so let me put again
> into discussion the suggestion to publish a 5.3.0 version.
>
> [hey: 5.3 indicates *development*]

Someone just need to do it.
As you might have seen, I would not contribute much to GRASS
development in the last weeks.
So I am not in the position to demand that anythink should be done.
However I see no tactical problems in publishing 5.3.0 tarballs
and target 5.4.0 as soon as we can after a reasonable testing period.