[GRASS5] color in GRASS - solved for PNG but I don't know why

Sjors jkwast at freeler.nl
Tue Mar 23 19:48:46 EST 2004

Michael Barton wrote:

> OK,
>
> I've solved the problem but don't know why it is a problem. I've been
> messing with this all day with various suggestions. I'm copying this
> to the list in case it indicates an obscure bug that needs fixing.
>
> Here is the situation:
>
> I have a
>
>     GRASS_TRUECOLOR: TRUE
>
> statement in my .grassrc5 file (exactly this format, following the
> format for other statements in the file)
>
> When I ran a g.gisenv, it said that
>
>    GRASS_TRUECOLOR=TRUE
>
> (exactly this format). When I typed d.mon start=PNG it responded
>
>    PNG: GRASS_TRUECOLOR status: FALSE
>
> (exactly this format). So, I have the right version of PNG and the
> correct statement in .grassrc5, but PNG didn't know to use truecolor.
>
> So, I tried to set this variable at the shell level using
>
> setenv GRASS_TRUECOLOR TRUE
>
> (quitting GRASS first, then restarting)
>
> Now GRASS creates a 332 Kb PNG file that DOES look like the screen.
> Clearly it IS now producing a 24 bit graphic image. Apparently, the
> truecolor statement in the .grassrc5 file is not parsing correctly on
> my system.

This seems exactly as a problem I had with debug in grass57. The problem
being that this must be declared as a shell (like bash) variable and has
nothing to do with .grassrc (GRASS variable). It's also inclined in the
fact you have to use 'export GRASS_TRUECOLOR', 'export' being the key
word here.
Markus then informed me that he working on a list. So you could add it
to your bash of whatever shell (in .bashrc) or issue the command before
starting GRASS. (Not sure if I'm completely right here, but that's how I
understand it)