[GRASS5] [bug #2396] (grass) Freetype includes not found

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Mon May 3 23:23:15 EDT 2004

> > Subject: Freetype includes not found
> >
> > Platform: GNU/Linux/i386
> > grass obtained from: CVS
> > grass binary for platform: Compiled from Sources
> > GRASS Version: 5.3-cvs 20040502
>
> > I just compiled 5.3-cvs from yesterday and I couldn't convince
> > configure to find the freetype includes. The include path was set
> >
> > --with-freetype-includes=/usr/include/freetype2
> >
> > The error message is
> >
> > checking whether to use FreeType... yes
> > checking for location of FreeType includes... /usr/include/freetype2
> > checking for freetype/freetype.h... no
> > configure: error: *** Unable to locate FreeType includes.
>
> Check the config.log file for any relevant error messages.
>
> If the error is the following:
>
> /usr/include/freetype2/freetype/freetype.h:20:2: #error "`ft2build.h'
> hasn't been included
> yet!"/usr/include/freetype2/freetype/freetype.h:21:2: #error "Please
> always use macros to include FreeType header
> files."/usr/include/freetype2/freetype/freetype.h:22:2: #error
> "Example:"/usr/include/freetype2/freetype/freetype.h:23:2: #error "
> #include <ft2build.h>"
> /usr/include/freetype2/freetype/freetype.h:24:2: #error "  #include
> FT_FREETYPE_H"
>
> then you will need to use a different (older) version of FreeType, or
> modify the FreeType headers yourself.
>
> In their wisdom (or lack thereof), the FreeType developers have
> decided to insist on the use a specific idiom for the use of FreeType
> headers; one which doesn't work with autoconf's header checks.

> >My system is a debian/sid snapshot from february and freetype is
> >2.1.7-2.deb

Yes, on Debian[testing/unstable] you need to either modify the
#include statements in src/display/d.text.freetype/main.c  as outlined
in above error, and then run gmake53 & gmakelinks53 by hand in the
d.text.freetype source directory.

Then it works fine.

See the Debian "grass" source package diff (5.0.3) for a more correct
patch.
  http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/main/g/grass/grass_5.0.3-3.diff.gz

As this is apparently the way of the future for freetype, perhaps
someone can think of a better solution within the build system/main.c
for the long term. We're probably not alone in hitting this...

Hamish