[GRASS5] GRASS 5.3 release

Radim Blazek blazek at itc.it
Thu May 6 05:05:55 EDT 2004

On Thursday 06 May 2004 07:12, Hamish wrote:
> > I have discussed with Paul the possibility to release GRASS5.3
> > this month (as the effort to release it somehow keeps dying).
>
> Any reason not to tag a 5.7.0 at the same time?

Any reason to do that? If this:

On Thursday 06 May 2004 07:17, Helena wrote:
> To do that nothing new should be contributed to 5.3 by now,
> except for bug fixes. All new development should go into 5.7.

> Once the release is successful it should be changed to :
> 5.4.x:  Current Stable: 5.4.0 [info]  (is this right???)

becomes true before 5.7.0, no need to tag 'grass' module with 5.7.0 tag I think.
But I don't believe it happens.

> (or waiting until Radim has finalized the vector format changes if that's not far off)

I want to release 5.7.0 before this summer. My plan is

 < 14.5. - add OGR to vector library
         - add ogr DB driver
         - enable writing of new 'coor' format
 < 21.5. - remove Shapefile and PostGIS from vector library (substituted by OGR)
         - remove shp DB driver
         - add support for 'NULL' in dbf DB driver
         - new feature freez, bugfixing only (targeted on smooth compilation
           on major platforms)
7.6.(-11.6.) - release 5.7.0 (tag grass51 and grass modules)
             - thaw 5.7 for new features

On Thursday 06 May 2004 08:55, Hamish wrote:
> my suggested list of things to do for 5.7.x:
> target features                                  status
> ------------------------------------             --------
> finalize vector format + solid                   pending

What is 'solid'?  3D or quality code?
But it does not matter as non of them can be in 5.7.0

> solid DB integation

Whats this? Who is going to do that?

> move -> OGR storage                              no

Whats this? Direct OGR support (see above) or something else.

> merge r.average et al.                           no

OK, if somebody does that, but I'll not wait for it.

> merge 5.3 code after 5.3.1 is tagged ?           not yet

Copy files from grass to grass51? We should seriously consider again
to merge grass51 back to grass, but I think that it is more painful
than vice versa. 'New' history is more important than 'old' history.
If copy from grass to grass51, each file should have
source path in the first log in identical format.

> new build system                                 done
> s.convert 5.0->5.7 sites full cat/att support    no?

??? v.in.sites

> Add /* $Id$ */ to all C files                    in progress
> Add # $Id$ to all scripts                        in progress
> Add <!-- $Id$ --> to all html                    ?
> Add Last changed $Date$ to all description.html  parser?

$Id$ was recommended first in grass/SUBMITTING and removed later (2002/03/06):
http://freegis.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/grass/SUBMITTING.diff?r1=1.20&r2=1.21

It is not something which should block 5.7.0 anyway.

> Add consistent license comments to those without or not?

Where, in external libraries using non GPL?

Radim