[GRASS5] Re: GRASS 5.3 release

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Sat May 8 12:43:48 EDT 2004

If you mean the scripts that are in the normal GRASS distribution, a
week ago, I would have said yes, this is a problem. However, I was
wrong about this. AFAICT, all scripts in 5.7 should work with
5.3--except those that call special 5.7 vector features. Currently,
these are very few. The only thing that needs to be changed is how some
(a miniority) are referenced in the tcltkgrass GUI and the man pages
for the same scripts. Markus suggested that it would help 5.7
development it all essential scripts shared by 5.3 and 5.7 be located
in the 5.7 CVS branch and represented by links in the 5.3 branch (I
hope I have the terminology +/- correct here). I could  try to get some
idea of how many scripts need tcltkgrass updates to use the 5.7 version
over the next week if that is helpful.

For other scripts--i.e., those that individual GRASS users have
developed but are not part of the regular release--some that may work
in 5.3 may not work in 5.7 without some work but usually not a lot of
work. This is not an issue for the release. IMHO, it would be a nice
idea to have a script-writing tips page on the GRASS www site to lay
out a set of basic GRASS script standards--e.g., bash scripting, use of
g.parser headers, etc.--to get all scripts to a 5.7/5.3 compatible
format. Perhaps I could try my hand at that this summer, along with the
other related things.

Finally, there are some 5.3 scripts that don't yet work in 5.7 because
they call GRASS modules that don't (yet) exist in 5.7. A good example
is r.fill.nulls. It requires s.surf.rst. Because of the demise of the
GRASS sites format, s.surf.rst does not exist in 5.7. And, unless
something has been done in the last couple weeks while I've been
focused on the end of semester chaos, there has yet to be a program
using the vector-format points to take its place. Somehow, there needs
to be a way to sort through these and say which are worth updating to
5.7 and which are not. Again, however, this could be treated as a 'bug
fix' later and shouldn't have any effect on the 5.3 release.

Michael
C. Michael Barton, Professor
School of Human Origins, Cultures, & Societies
PO Box 872402
Arizona State University
Tempe, AZ  85287-2402
USA