[GRASS5] Re: more on color rules

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Thu May 13 11:58:55 EDT 2004

Helena,

What started this discussion was (1) a suggestion by me that there are
probably quite a few nice color tables out there and wouldn't it be
nice if there was a place on the GRASS site where people share them and
(2) an observation that the color=rules option doesn't work in the
autogenerated GUI for 5.7.

Since the subject's been raised however, it seems worthwhile to relook
at how r.colors operates. As it stands now, colors=[options] only works
for a limited set of predefined color tables, using other color tables
can only be done via a command line redirection command (not available
from the autogenerated GUI without scripting on top of the existing
interface) and not through the colors=[options] format where it would
seem to go, and interactive color table generation is accomplished
through the color table loading argument--colors=rules--which doesn't
work in the autogenerated GUI. The rast=[map] option is eminently
sensible. However, the rest of it doesn't seem very consistent or
'intuitive' (that is reasonably easy to figure out without looking it
up all the time). Since GRASS is being redone at the 5/6 boundary, it
wouldn't hurt to see if this important set of functions can be made
more straightforward to use.

I realize that I'm one of those 'Mac people' who are constantly saying
that we should be stressing our mousing fingers rather than trying to
remember command-line syntax. But I must ashamedly admit that I
sometimes prefer the command line. However, I really hate trying to
remember and accurately type in a redirect the long and complex
pathways where I might stash a color table I want to use ;-)

Saludos,
Michael

Michael Barton, Professor & Curator
School of Human Origins, Cultures, & Societies
Arizona State University
Tempe, AZ  85287-2402
USA

voice: 480-965-6262; fax: 480-965-7671