[GRASS5] Using external PROJ with 5.3

Radim Blazek blazek at itc.it
Fri May 14 05:34:26 EDT 2004

On Thursday 13 May 2004 11:46, Paul Kelly wrote:
> I also think the libproj shared library should probably be distributed with GRASS
> binaries, as libgdal is now. Should prevent lots of spurious bug reports
> from people who haven't installed libproj properly, as it will already be
> in their LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

If I understand the situation well, I don't think that any external
library should be distributed with GRASS. Say that somebody
has GDAL 1.9 installed on his system:
/usr/local/lib/libgdal.1.1.so
/usr/local/bin/<gdal programs>
his LD_LIBRARY_PATH is empty and it works well for him, then he installs
GRASS with libgdal.1.1.so from GDAL 1.8.
In GRAS shell, the (old) version of libgdal.1.1.so from GRASS will
be used and all GDAL programs from /usr/local/bin/ will use wrong library
from GRASS.

Radim