[GRASS5] Using external PROJ with 5.3

Radim Blazek blazek at itc.it
Fri May 14 10:17:18 EDT 2004

On Friday 14 May 2004 14:38, Paul Kelly wrote:
> I also think it would be (fairly) intuitive to the user there to run the
> GDAL commands outside GRASS if he was getting bad results. More intuitive
> than the problem of installing gdal and proj libraries in /usr/local/lib
> but not updating LD_LIBRARY_PATH or /etc/ld.so.conf. Going by the
> experience with proj in 5.7 I would expect to get many 'bug' reports about
> like that and would like to try and cut down the workload on replying to
> them.
>
> Of course I'm not saying that including GDAL and PROJ Libraries with GRASS
> is a perfect elegant solution. But I can't see anything really bad about
> it either. I am assuming of course that due to the way LD_LIBRARY_PATH is
> set, it is only possible for these libraries to be used if you are inside
> a GRASS session?
>
> Reducing the amount of bug reports and simple questions about installing
> GDAL and PROJ is my main motivation in saying they should be included in
> the binary distributions.

OK, I agree with idea, but maybe we could do it in more secure way?
E.g. optionaly copy libgdal.so to $ARCH/libgrass_gdal.so and build
GRASS against this copy? There is already libgrass_shape.so there.

Another question, how should be built GDAL included in GRASS,
and where is the limit for dependencies? GDAL should have at least
xerces and Postgres but probably more, so include also all those libs?

Radim