[GRASS5] 5.3.0 Proj4 Cygwin

Paul Kelly paul-grass at stjohnspoint.co.uk
Tue May 18 01:46:48 EDT 2004

Hello Richard

On Mon, 17 May 2004, Richard Greenwood wrote:

> Kudos to all for the hard work going into 5.3.
>
> I am confused about --with-proj. If I use --with-proj=yes am I instructing
> GRASS to use an existing installation of Proj.4?

Yes

> If I use --with-proj=no am I giving up any functionality?

The main thing I am aware of is you can't use NTv2 distortion grids for
datum transformations, as used in Australia, New Zealand and for high
accuracy in Canada. Maybe other places. There are some other minor changes
discussed on the PROJ.4 mailing list but I'm not sure how important they
are.

> What would be recommended for creating a Cygwin binary distribution?

Actually --with-proj will not work with 5.3.0 on Cygwin due to a bug. I
fixed it in CVS yesterday but it is not in 5.3.0. You need to add
$(PROJLIB) to the SLIBDEPS line in src/libes/proj/Gmakefile.

It is always good to use the latest version with the latest fixes (parts
of the internal GRASS PROJ are quite out-of-date), but using extra shared
libraries always causes more complications. libproj.so would need to be in
your PATH when running GRASS. An easy way to do this would be to copy it
into $GISBASE/lib (init.sh adds this directory to the PATH).

I was building a Cygwin binary distribution of 5.3.0 yesterday but I ran
into a problem using the latest GDAL (reported to the list earlier), so it
will be a few days at least until it is ready. One point I would make is that
you should use the --without-postgres option to configure and then compile
src.garden/grass.postgresql separately at the end using gmake53. This will
ensure that nviz works for people who don't have postgresql installed.

Paul