[GRASS5] Re: [GRASSLIST:4699] Re: v.in.ascii and dig_cats file

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 4 00:16:37 EST 2004

> > I'm trying to create a vector file through v.in.ascii, following the
> > template files in Example 1 from the v.in.ascii manual page:
> >
> > http://grass.itc.it/grass57/manuals/html57_user/v.in.ascii.html
> >
> > How does the category input from dig_cats work? There was a similar
> > thread last week started by Ian MacMillan but I didn't see a solution to
> > getting a dig_cats file working. I've appended head output for the
> > ascii, att and cats files that I have created, in case there is problem
> > there.
> dig_cats are ignored by v.in.ascii, you have to create
> db table directly and link it to vector:
>  db.execute (create table ..., insert into ....)
>  v.db.connect

So example 1 in v.in.ascii.html is wrong? What about dig_att it talks about?

Will v.in.ascii input files handle "45:30:59N 179:30:59W"?
I'm pretty sure the answer is no -- should it or would that make things worse?

Other outdated documentation:
http://grass.ibiblio.org/grass57/tutorial/attrib_storage.html

mentions db.createdb. Not sure of replacement.

Hamish