[GRASS5] Mac OS X Patches and Additions

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 8 19:56:16 EST 2004

> > Mac preferred browser support already works for GRASS 5.7, but it
> > would certainly be nice to have this for 5.4 too.
>
> Hmm - that is odd, because it seems that I still had to patch the same
> file the same way that I did with Grass 5.0-5.4.

It's fixed since a year. see $GRASS_HTML_BROWSER in ~ line 214:
http://freegis.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/grass51/lib/init/init.sh

> > Support for spaces and other non alphanumeric characters is also
> > nice, but I think that there is no longer a problem with this in
> > either 5.4 or 5.7.
>
> Hmm, again that is weird, because I had to patch the same bits of the
> tcltk interface as I did with Grass 5.0.

This was fixed in CVS after 5.7.0 was released:
http://grass.itc.it/pipermail/grass-commit/2004-August/012254.html

> > Finally, I'm not sure what is meant by automatically bringing the
> > GUI to the front.
..
> When you execute "tcltkgrass &", the GUI starts, but you have to click
> on the "Wish" icon to bring it to the foreground so that you may use
> it. Our solution brings it to the front, like you might expect it to.

Again after 5.7.0 was released things changed. Everything happens in the
d.m menu now, so while the default click-to-focus window manager mode
(which can be changed!) is still a pain in the neck, there are now fewer
windows to go back and forth between so it isn't as bad as it was...

> > Perhaps Lorenzo, Kirk, or other GRASS Mac users will be able to
> > offer additional clarifications.
..
> They have been fixed. They work. They have been tested. They have
> worked since Grass 5.0.

The quality and usefulness of the code isn't as issue. The issue is
which improvements are platform-agnostic enough to be included in CVS,
making less patching work for you and a better overall product for
everybody.

Compound all this with 5.7.0 being a snapshot of a 6 month old live
branch and we have minor confusion...

Hamish